Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Compared 2 watercolor papers and gearing up for Valentine's


Playing with the CTMH new paper packet Hello Lovely and January stamp set of the month - Adore You.  Cards inspired by the CTMH Seasonal Expressions catalogue.

While making these cards, I wanted to test different watercolor papers, but first a disclaimer, I am NOT a watercolor artist...Compared the Strathmore 300 series cold press watercolor paper with Fabriano's hot press Studio watercolor paper.  What a difference!  I like the smooth surface of Fabriano; much easier to stamp on. I stamped the words Adore You on the watercolor paper with VersaFine pigment ink, then applied a wash of Sea Glass diluted ink for the background.  I find it easier to brush color on the Fabriano.  They are both 140 lb weight, but the Fabriano feels lighter to me.  The hearts were colored with Copic Sketch makers on White Daisy card stock.  However  I wanted to match the Hello Lovely colors for the flowers so I used CTMH inks and watercolored them.  I can water color on the White Daisy card stock but I have to work pretty fast.  Based on this comparison, I'd say Fabriano is worth the premium price.

Please leave a comment at the bottom of this post and share your experience with different watercolor papers.

Supplies used:

Close To My Heart (CTMH) Hello Lovely papers and White Daisy cardstock
Fabriano Studio Watercolor hot press paper
Strathmore series 300 cold press watercolor paper
CTMH January 2017 Stamp of the Month - Adore You
MFT Stitched Rectangle die
CTMH Exclusive Inks - Sea Glass, Sorbet, Fern, New England Ivy, Blush
MFT Black Licorice Hybrid Ink
VersaFine Black Onyx Pigment Ink
Copic Sketch Markers - R0000, R00
Offray - 1" translucent and .25" satin ribbons
CTMH - Blush Shimmer Ribbon
May Arts - white lace ribbon
Royal Aqualon watercolor brushes

#ctmhJanuarystampofthemonth
#comparewatercolorpapers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.